Whenever you Google something and your search engine automatically makes you land on the exact page that you were looking for, you should know that it wasn’t sheer luck – In fact, it was due to a very systemized digital marketing tool called Search Engine Optimization or SEO.
SEO works on a very complex algorithm and hence companies seldom take up the responsibility to increase their Google rankings all by themselves. Companies usually outsource the job to an SEO agency, that is an expert in the said domain and handles all their needs in a much more efficient way as compared to what they would have done on their own.
How does SEO work?
SEO efforts typically work two basic ways which are as follows:
- On-page optimizations: All those efforts that happen or are executed on or within your website fall under this category
- Off-page optimizations: All those efforts that happen or are executed off or outside your website fall under this category
Irrespective of whether your SEO efforts are on or off page, they ultimately aim to bring more traffic on your website, make its interface better, and increase your Google rankings. They are an integral part of increasing your conversion and click through rates.
We explore how SEO works and why you should care
Why are SEO efforts important for your search engine?
From a customer’s point of view, it is very important how well your website’s SEO performs. This is because, when a user gets great results (and find exactly what they are looking for) on a specific search engine, they are likely to keep using that search engine again, and the search engine would earn from advertising from other parties accordingly. Hence, for a search engine, a company’s SEO efforts matter because that enables them to bring up better results for their users and earn more.
Tips to improve your website’s SEO
Here are some tips that companies and individuals can follow to improve their website’s SEO:
- You should try to improve your website’s title tags by studying and analyzing how relevant your title tags are with your website, your products and your services.
- You should try to search and identify your competitors who are doing great in terms of gaining organic traffic. You should analyze their content themes, their website structure, their engagement and social media pages.
- You should also map keywords and try to understand how your target market and users search for phrases.
- You should produce content regularly for your website and be consistent in your posts. The frequency of your posts is not as important, as important establishing consistency is.
- You should also build your social media network because it is a means of connecting with your audience. This would ultimately mean that the potential exposure to your content increases and increase website traffic.
- You should understand your website’s analytics to help you understand how well you are doing in terms of digital marketing efforts
SEO can be a very daunting task for people who are beginners and the above tips would greatly help them in developing an understanding of SEO practices in their digital marketing strategy.